Pennsylvania State Lodge Fraternal Order of Police Presents:
Use of Force & Deadly Encounters – The Aftermath
This seminar is designed to better prepare law enforcement officers and agencies in migrating through the media and legal ramifications of critical incidents involving the use of force, particularly officer involved shootings.
The seminar will include discussion on the following topics:
- Examine Federal and State laws related to LEO’s use of force.
- Examine officer’s post incident statements and recent legal rulings related to Garrity and their effect on officers and agencies
- Discuss the strategic role of training in the aftermath of critical incidents
- Examine the role and management of formal and informal media responses
- The tactics and strategies regarding communication with and through professional media sources.
- The role of “informal media,” which includes blogs, social media, and comment sections attached to professional news sources.
- Attendees will learn how to effectively communicate before, during, and after a critical incident, as well as how to protect the involved officers and the union.
- The role and use of body cameras for LEO’s
- The role of the officer’s attorney at the scene and subsequent investigations
- The role and use of Expert Witness
We need an honest evaluation of methods to protect ourselves, our profession and our families. This seminar will better prepare attendees to think critically and become problem solvers regarding use of force incidents, as well as to understand the issues affecting officers and agencies during and after these types of incidents.
Presenter Lance LoRusso is a FOP attorney and former Cobb County Police Officer with over 30 years of LE experience. He is a recognized use of force expert who has appeared on several local and national news broadcasts. Lance has also authored books and other articles on this topic, represented officers in over 70 on-duty shootings and lectured nationally on deadly force and other topics of interest to law enforcement. Lance has been a firearms instructor for over 25 years and regularly consults with attorneys defending law enforcement officers in use of force and criminal cases brought against them in the performance of their duties.
Training Dates & Time
Monday & Tuesday May 20-21, 2019
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel at Station Square,
300 W. Station Square Dr., Pittsburgh, PA. 15219
Training Cost: $125.00/per attendee
Only FOP Members, Lodge Attorneys and Active Law Enforcement Officers may register for this training.
FOP members must show valid identification and their member identification card upon check-in.
Lodge Attorneys must show identification upon check-in and the Lodge will have to verify prior to the date of the classes. Out-of-state FOP members must show member identification. Active non-FOP law enforcement must show valid identification (driver’s license) and their Law Enforcement Credentials.
The FOP reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone and will refund any monies paid in a timely fashion.
For room reservations, call Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel at Station Square at 800-325-3535.
Training registration can be purchased via email (firstname.lastname@example.org and included registration form) or securely at our online store. Your seminar reservation is guaranteed upon payment. Early registration is encouraged due to limited seating.
Contact: Pennsylvania State Lodge FOP P.O. Box 898 Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Use of Force REG FORM.docx